JIOH on LinkedIn JIOH on Facebook
  • Users Online: 173
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
CASE REPORT
Year : 2016  |  Volume : 8  |  Issue : 7  |  Page : 823-826

Unforeseen Event during Routine Dental Procedure: A Case Report


1 Senior Lecturer, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Index dental College, Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
2 Professor and Head, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, VSPM's Dental College and Research Center, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India
3 Private Practitioner, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India
4 Senior Lecturer, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, NSVK Dental College, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
5 Post Graduate Student, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, VSPM's Dental College and Research Center, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India
6 Senior Lecturer, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, VSPM's Dental College and Research Center, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Snehal Sonarkar
Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, VSPM's Dental College and Research Center, Digdoh Hills, Hingna Road, Nagpur - 440 019, Maharashtra, India

Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

One of the serious complications during routine dental procedure could be accidental ingestion/aspiration of the instruments or materials of dental and non-dental origin. Considering such risks during dental treatment clinicians must follow safety guidelines and have through knowledge about management of such events. Current case report presents with the accidental ingestion of pin during restorative procedure. Lateral cephalogram was taken to locate the presence of pin and it was situated at C-4 level below the angle of mandible. Attempts were made to retrieve pin, however, the attempts failed. It was decided by the operating general surgeon to allow the pin to move along the normal path of digestion. The patient was continuously monitored in ICU. Laxative was prescribed and next morning patient reported that the pin passed in stool. This article further emphasize that practitioners should make patients aware of all the possibilities of ingestion and aspiration of dental objects. The operator shall instruct the patient to immediately spit if any type of dental material or an instrument is accidentally swallowed during treatment. Nevertheless, it is of prime importance that all the possible precautionary measures should be taken in account including mandatory use of rubber dam whenever possible. In case of such accidents, a line of treatment should be organized, and all the possible emergency management protocols should be followed.


[PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1443    
    Printed21    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded76    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal